Floodwater Rescue Training
Advanced large and small animal rescue techniques for floodwater.
Floodwater Rescue Techniques
Floodwater Animal Rescue (FAR) is a minimum 2-day operations level course designed to apply both slack water and moving water boat operations with animal capture and containment techniques. An additional day of low angle knots and ropes can be added to the curriculum as an option to give your agencies that annual refresher training if desired. This training is provided through both hands-on and classroom instruction.
This class blends NFPA 1670 operational skills for swiftwater rescue, surface water rescue, rope rescue, and technical animal rescue for application in a flood response. FAR will also meet the criteria for Animal Search and Rescue (ASAR) team training guidelines referenced in National Alliance of State Animal and Agricultural Emergency Programs (NASAAEP) ASAR best practice work group white paper; and the Southern Agriculture and Animal Disaster Response Alliance (SAADRA) ASAR Resource Typing.
FAR Course Topics Include
- Lecture – Introduction to flood water response skills
- Basic water safety/PPE/Self Rescue/Team rescue
- Introduction to boat/motors
- Boat operations in slack water and moving water
- Small animal applications
- Large animal applications
- Rescue scenarios
Students Will Need
- Have the ability to swim unassisted
- Class V rescue PFD with quick release strap
- Water rescue helmet
- Water draining footwear
- Rope gloves (optional)
- Whistle (optional)
- Appropriate dress for weather
- Sunscreen, bug spray
FAR Course Equipment Needed
- Boats and outboard motors – 1 boat per 3 or 4 people preferred
- Boats can be zodiac type of any size, aluminum boats should be at least 14’ in length
- Outboard motors should be tiller mount motors (preferred)
- Classroom (for the first morning only) with A/V equipment and speakers if possible, otherwise please notify instructor prior to class
- Pop-up tents for shade, if needed, during outside practical (optional, but preferred)
Contact Us if you are interested in scheduling a class in your area.